Retail Front of Shop Assistant
Responsible to: Retail Supervisor
Overall Objective: To undertake general front of shop duties, contributing to the effective and efficient running of the charity’s retail service.
Location: Workington or Cockermouth
Hours: To be agreed with the supervisor, generally a minimum of 4 hours per week on a rota system.
Skills required: Good customer service and communication skills
Good organisational skills and able to follow instructions
Work well as part of a team leadership
Basic numeracy, literacy and IT skills
Reliability and flexibility essential
Positive and friendly attitude
This is a voluntary position where no pay will be given, however it is our policy to pay reasonable expenses such as travel and associated costs.
Roles are subject to a one month trial.
• Talk to customers and welcome them into the shop in a polite and friendly manner
• Receive donations brought into the shop
• Encourage donors to gift aid donations and assist with completion of relevant forms
• Help customers with any enquiries they may have
• Maintain good relationships with our neighbouring shops
Front of shop
• Assist customers with purchases
• Perform money transactions using a till
• Answer telephone calls in a polite and friendly manner and communicate any messages to the right department
• Restock shelves and display goods in an attractive manner
Health and Safety
• Ensure the shop is kept clean, tidy and free from hazards
• Adhere to the organisations health and safety procedures
• Undertake health and safety as required
• Be respectful and polite to all customers, volunteers and staff members.
• Respect the confidentiality of any information in relation to past or present patients, carers, staff and other volunteers.
• Undertake any training specific to the role.
• Promote the aims and objectives of Hospice at Home West Cumbria.